Saturday 16 July 2011

My Automoto AL9

I acquired my bike as a rusty but complete bike.

It is an AUTOMOTO Model AL9 (1930)



The frame was bent all over and required quite a lot of work to get it straight and true.

The front forks although they are not the correct type for this bike have been rebuilt. (On the lookout for correct forks and front mudguard).

I retained the rims and re-spoked the wheels with stainless steel spokes. new wheels bearings front and rear. These are easy to obtain being metric.

The brake drums are a little scored but I left them as they are but renewed the linings. Really good back brake not so good front but still stops quite well.

Drive chain and sprockets replaced. I had the gearbox sprocket re profiled as it was too far worn.

The gearbox is 3 speed made under licence from Campbell, It is a constant mesh box. Again the bearings have been replaced and the only bronze bush inside the box had about 6mm travel in fact practically all the bronze was gone. rebushed and all is ok although the gearbox does leak a little.

The clutch basket and inner bearings had to be replaced.

The engine at this time is having the bottom end renewed. The main bearings are ball bearings and the big end is in the hands of Alpha bearings in Birmingham.

The petrol tank had quite a lot of rot in it and has been repaired and sprayed and sealed, I am a little concerned with the sealant as I do have a slight weep of  fuel.

The electrics are no where original but I do have lights

So far i have competed in the Banbury run 2 times (and finished)
Rose of the shires run 3 times finished 2 times. The first run was about a week after getting the machine running for the first time and one of the side valve tappets threads stripped and the exhaust valve was not opening. Should have competed in the 2011 run but the bottom end gave out so hopefully next year.

All in all I am happy with the bike and it may not be a show winner but its mine and I am proud to run it.






No comments:

Post a Comment